Fish Leather Tanning
- An introduction to tanning principles
- Instruction on oil-based tanning
- 1 day workshop
- All materials supplied
- Light physical activity
This workshop was developed as a single day introduction to backyard tanning. Using household materials and easily accessible skins, fish leather is something that most enthusiasts can tan.
Sunday 1st & 8th September 2019
The House of Compliments, Earlwood, Sydney
$160 per person
Bookings via Eventbrite
- Instruction in the traditional brain tan technique for tanning buckskin
- 3 days of workshop including 1 day skin softening endurance workout
- All materials and catering supplied
- Camping accommodation
- Maximum of 12 students per workshop
Deerskin nowadays is a by-product of hunting and farms, an oft-wasted resource that is the raw material for making buckskin, one of the most wearable, luxuriant and useful materials available.
Breathable, durable and insulating, clothing from buckskin is known as being able to withstand regular use for the rest of one’s lifetime.
Learning to use this resource is an art in and of itself, requiring responsive attention to the skin and it’s needs. Many lessons in patience, perseverance and adaptability are the prizes for those who can see the whole buckskin tanning process through from start to finish.
Beginner students will process hides in pairs and each receive half a completed buckskin to take home.